Saturday, June 15, 2013

An Editor Talks Shop - Sheri White - "Biggest 'Ah-Ha!' Moments in Writing"

I've edited a special issue for Morpheus Tales, and I also proofread and edit for them. I am submissions editor at SNM, and review books for several print and online sites.

Something that can turn me off while reading someone's work is when it's riddled with grammatical errors, typos, and punctuation mistakes. Poor spelling is inexcusable - always check a dictionary if you're not sure of a word.

When you're done writing your story, get someone else to read it and proofread it. Never submit until your work has been proofread and edited within an inch of its life. Make sure your story is formatted according to guidelines provided by the editor.

If you self-publish, it is crucial to get a professional editing. I once read an anthology in which the editor obviously didn't bother to proofread. The errors in that book were so bad, I could barely read the book to review. It was as if a child had put it together.

If you want to be taken seriously as a writer, then get serious about your writing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good advice! I've read a lot of stories with tons of potential, but the writers didn't do what it takes to make them great, so they've signed their own death certificates as reputable authors.