Friday, August 9, 2013

Networking - Geoff Brown - Biggest 'Ah-Ha!' Moments In Writing

Networking. That part of writing no one wants to undertake. 'Is that where I have to talk to people?' I hear you ask. Yes, it is.

   Before I started writing, I had built up a solid network of friends in the writing and publishing community over a few years on a horror forum.

   Then, when I had finally put fingers to keyboard, I wondered where I could send it.

   'Ah-HA,' I thought. 'I can ask my friends. They'll know.' I asked, and the advice came in thick and fast. It sure beat researching markets through websites such as Ralan or Duotrope.

   I use those market listings now, but the massive list of friends and associates I have make that easier. Many, many of my friends are in the industry, and give advice and notification on new and current markets that are open to specific stories. Market listings are great, but a solid network within the industry is worth its weight in gold.




Geoff Brown was raised in Melbourne’s gritty western suburbs. He holds a Cert. IV in Professional Writing and Editing, and a Diploma of Arts (Professional Writing and Editing). He is currently studying a Bachelor of Arts. His memoir, Hammered, was released in February 2012, and has been heavily reviewed. He is the author of numerous short stories, and has been published in anthologies such as Festive Fear: Global Edition and Horror for Good: A Charitable Anthology (alongside Jack Ketchum, Joe R. Lansdale and F. Paul Wilson, among others). He has a story in Midnight Echo Issue 8, and was guest editor for Issue 9. He has had many articles published in newspapers. He is the current president of the Australian Horror Writers Association, a professional book layout artist, a publisher and a working editor.

www.gnbraun.com www.cohesionediting.com

1 comment: